Monday, January 7, 2013

7 to the 3rd power



It’s been a while since I’ve seen everybody from class and I think I’m starting to miss everyone……. No not really….. Anyways, looking forward to obtain a lot of experience this upcoming year and hopefully graduating.  Started the year off neck deep in a 7.3 Powerstroke.  I was in the middle of a full service on a 99 ford F-450 when I felt something drip on my head from the access cover to the flywheel. It didn’t seem like oil so I proceeded to do an official sniff test and as it turns out, oil it was not.  Diesel, diesel was dripping from somewhere in the engine compartment and I did not yet change the fuel filter so that couldn’t be it. Upon further inspection I found that the return fuel line on the back of the head was leaking, I notified the authorities and proceeded with the repair. There was also lots of oil in the valley between the heads which I found while venturing into the engine, it was the high pressure oil pump, which was also leaking, sweet.  I went ahead and ordered a new oil pump.  While I was in there I figured why not change all of the seals, gaskets, O-rings and rubber grommets, luckily ford had the same thing in mind so they have a convenient kit for the occasion. I enjoyed taking out the old oil pump as I have not dealt with many before so it was interesting to see the application of one on this particular engine. Many mental images were taken for future assessments of the infamous 7.3. Hope to see some cool blogs as we are growing to be veteran bloggers. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment